Friday 5 May 2017

Why I've been silent

At Leftlake, Dartmoor
On March 9th my darling, beautiful son Felix died, aged 20.  He had epilepsy and his death has been put down to SUDEP - Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy, something which is little understood.    His death has been like an earthquake through our family and although I have found swimming helpful in the aftermath I have not had any desire to blog about it.  Since March 9th everything in my life has been, and will continue to be, refracted through the prism of his death.  I will certainly blog about wild swimming again but my posts will probably, for some time at least, be preoccupied with swimming and how it aids the grieving process.  I have been trying to get in the water as often as possible and it definitely helps.  You can find out more about Felix and donate to SUDEP Action here.

By the River Dart

In Greece (Felix was never a fan of cold water!)

4 comments:

Fiona Senior said...

Oh Sophie I am so sorry to hear this. I can think of no words of consolation, but am sending you the biggest digital hug the internet can muster. I have friends who have lost children suddenly and can only say that from their experience the loss never leaves you, but does become bearable and there is life beyond it. All my best wishes. Xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie, I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely son. Sending you condolences and love from Spain. Deborah xx

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss Sophie, my thoughts go out to you and your family at this horrible, horrible time. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. All I can do is to echo the above, and to say, things will get easier in time. x

Sophie said...

Thank you so much