Monday 9 April 2012

The Ham Stone Adventure

Many times have I swum at Soar Mill Cove....and many times have I gazed out longingly at the Ham Stone, wanting to swim to it. (it's one of many features with a porcine theme off the South Devon coast; others include Gammon Head and Pig's Nose). Well today was the day I finally did it. Steph and I swam out through aquamarine sea; it was so clear we could still see the bottom about half way out to the island. As we approached, we realised it was two islands; a twisting gully separated them and we swam through, past huge ropes of weed that hung like a giantess's tresses. Well, I say we swam through, it's truer to say we were sucked through; there were deliriousy giddy eddies and whirlpools created by the force of the water. The water level dropped and rose anarchically as we were pulled along, cackling and screaming.

No comments: