Sunday 17 April 2011

The lure of the river

Today it felt like summer. Warm and sunny and not a cloud in the sky. We headed for one of our local pools on the Dart, passing violets, wood anenomes, and celandines twinkling away like fairy lights in the ground cover. I was a touch apprehensive as I lowered myself into the river but the water was just wonderful. Yes it was fresh, even, dare I say, a little cold, but I soon got used to it and it was just beautiful to be in that silky and oh so clear water. Walking back I saw a pearl-bordered fritillary butterfly - or possibly the small pearl-bordered fritillary I'm not sure - they feed on the violets.

4 comments:

chris mockridge said...

I saw the Dart Today and for the first time this year felt like a swim...

Sophie said...

...that's right, I just couldn't resist.

Unknown said...

Looks like a Pearl Bordered - nice pic

Sophie said...

Thanks...if anyone can tell me which butterfly it is you can!